Job Title: WellFit Instructor
Reports To: Activity Director/Activity Coordinator
Number of Positions Available: 1
The role of the WellFit Instructor is one that demands hard work, creativity, group control, and an enthusiastic attitude towards children. All campers participate in one hour of WellFit Training daily.
This program will combine components of fitness training and personal wellness over the week. The fitness component will be based on a program put together by Relentless Hockey Training. Workouts include; dynamic warm-up & mobility, athletic development, strength & movement, and core/conditioning/recovery. The WellFit Instructor is expected to follow the comprehensive teaching outline and ensure that all components of the program are taught during the course of the week. The Wellfit Instructor will be required to actively demonstrate components of the program, and work with each camper to develop and improve their fitness.
The wellness component will be based on a program that includes; regular & restorative yoga practices, breathing exercises, nature hikes, and water aerobics. The Wellfit Instructor is expected to follow the teaching outline and ensure all components of the program are taught during the course of the week. The WellFit Instructor will be required to coach the campers as they work through each component of the program, in order to develop and improve their overall wellness.
Instructors are responsible for teaching campers the safety requirements of each program ensuring that all participants use equipment properly and follow safety standards. This includes providing care to our campers that reflects the standards and guidelines of HOC’s Child Care Practices.
As a part of the larger camp community activity instructor is also expected to actively participate and provide supervision during all-camp activities throughout the week. This includes program periods that may not be outlined on daily schedules, such as meals, section activities, free swims, campfires, and others as assigned.
DAILY / WEEKLY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monday to Friday- instruct 7 one-hour WellFit periods for camper groups of 25-35 ranging in age from 7-16.
- Provide WellFit programming and instruction according to the curriculum designed by Relentless Hockey Training / Power Yoga Canada, under the direction of the Activity Director.
- Serve as a healthy role model, encouraging our campers to become better attuned to their physical and mental wellness.
- Evening activity instruction (Monday, Tuesday) (1 hour).
- Tuesday or Wednesday cabin coverage to facilitate counsellor evening off.
- Sunday Camper Registration (work brigades, registration, evening program).
- Saturday Check-Out (3 hours on Saturday, as scheduled).
- Attend weekly all staff and staff team meetings as scheduled.
- Work One "Holdover Weekend". Friday evening cabin supervision (if required) and provide programming and supervision for holdover campers (campers here 2+ weeks) Saturday and Sunday.
ALL STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES
- All Activity staff are required to attend spring Program Development Weekend.
- All staff are required to deliver every day our Brand Promise “Best Summer Of Your Life” in each camper and staff interaction. Guided by our four core principles, Community, Leadership, Accountability, and Performance.
- All staff are expected to abide by and enforce camp guidelines of respect. These are the rules and expectations of behaviour implemented to maintain a fun and safe camp environment.
- All staff are responsible for the safety and security of each camper in their care. Staff are to follow prescribed program standards and lesson plans in order to ensure the highest level of care and instruction.
- Attendance for all staff to the June orientation week training is mandatory. This training period is where each staff will receive essential employment information and training for a successful summer experience.
- Participation in camp-wide special events (Evening Programs, All Camp Activities, Campfires, and Friday Finale) and weekly meetings are an expectation of all staff members.
- The dynamic nature of summer camp demands each staff understand that additional duties may be assigned as required.
SUMMER BENEFITS AND TIME OFF
- Room & Board Provided.
- Weekly Staff Hockey & Water Skiing.
- Staff working a full eight-week contract period are entitled to one weekend off (Friday after daily duties to Sunday evening programs).
- Time off weekly - Saturday evening.
- Time off daily - depending on weekly schedule.
- Access to program and recreation equipment.
- The chance to work in a close knit supportive community that values staff health and wellness, creativity, and employee success.
- The opportunity to develop life skills, applicable to multi-faceted career opportunities.
- An experience that will last a lifetime.
<< Go Back To Hockey Staff Positions Overview
Staff Orientation / Training: TBD
Employment Period: June 30, 2024 – August 24, 2024
Optional Employment: Week #9 August 25 – 31, 2024
Wages: Summer wages range depending on qualifications and experience of applicants. Room and board are included.
- Minimum 19 years of age.
- Must have a strong interest in physical fitness and personal wellness. Prior experience in kinesiology, fitness instruction or teaching is an asset.
- Genuine interest in teaching fitness, recreation, and wellness to children and teaching/instructing experience a definite requirement.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bronze Cross or NL swimming qualification preferred.
- Current certificate of Emergency First Aid and CPR.
- Respect in Sport certification.
- Must be enthusiastic, energetic, and positive.
- Must be willing to take part in duties outside the defined job description.