Job Title: Maintenance Assistant
Reports To: Camp Directors
Number of Positions Available: 1
The role of the Maintenance Assistant is to help with daily maintenance projects around the facility. Maintenance projects may include, assembling bunks, cabin repairs, lawn care, painting, shoveling, raking, etc. The Maintenance Assistant will need to have a valid G driver’s licence as many tasks will involve driving. This person must have an interest in keeping the facilities looking presentable and ensure to always keep personal, camper, and staff safety a top priority.
This person would work indirectly with children but would need to posses an interest in working with children..
- Provide care to our campers that reflect the standards and guidelines of the Hockey Opportunity Camp Code of Conduct.
- Must have a general interest in keeping the camp community looking presentable and safe for campers and staff.
- Create and execute your job in productive, professional and fun manner.
- Ensure to always wear/follow proper safety guidelines when completing tasks.
- Be an active participant in the camp community.
- Will be asked to complete minor construction tasks (shoveling sand, raking, helping with tree removal, etc.)
- Will need to complete minor building projects (assembling bunks, siding repairs, cabin repairs, window replacement, painting, etc.).
- Be knowledgeable in all safety procedures: including fire, land and aquatic emergency procedures.
- Will work Sunday to Friday, hours will vary depending on maintenance work that needs to be completed as well as weather. May need to work the odd Saturday.
- Must be able to use basic lawn care equipment (riding lawn mower, push mower, grass trimmer, leaf blower, etc.).
- Basic mechanic knowledge a plus.
- Assist Head of Maintenance when needed.
- Do daily garbage pick ups around camp (changing garbage bags and taking them to the appropriate area).
- Drive pick up with dump trailer containing garbage and recyclables to the local waste facility and dispose of it in the proper unloading areas, two-three times a week.
- Will be asked to pick up supplies from the local hardware stores.
- May be asked to periodically travel longer distances (Toronto, North Bay, Barrie, etc.) in a camp vehicle, to pick up/purchase camp related items.
- May be asked to assist with plumbing repairs.
- Other duties as assigned.
<< Go Back To Support Staff Positions Overview
Staff Orientation / Training: TBD
Employment Period: July 2, 2017 – August 26, 2017
Optional Employment: Week #9 August 27 – September 2, 2017
Wages: Summer wages vary depending on age, qualifications and experience of applicants. Room and board is included.
- A minimum of 17 years of age.
- Genuine interest and experience in general maintenance (plumbing, construction, etc.) a must.
- Genuine interest in working at a residential camp.
- Must be an out going, self-starter type person.
- Valid G driver’s license.
- Must be able to drive a pick up truck with trailer.
- Must be enthusiastic, energetic and positive person.
- Must be willing to take part in camp related activities outside the defined job description.