Job Title: Hockey Instructor
Reports To: Hockey Director/Head Hockey Instructor
Number of Positions Available: 7
Hockey Instructors at HOC teach either two or three camper group sessions a day. A group session consists of a two hours of high intensity hockey training daily. Instructors are on the ice either 4-6 hours a day. Instructors are required to follow a comprehensive teaching outline, to ensure that all required hockey skills are taught during the course of the week.
Each instructor is responsible for completing personal Player Evaluations each week for campers they directly instruct. Hockey staff are required to work on Sundays for camper registration and at the arena on Friday night / Saturdays for the week ending scrimmage games.
ALL STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES
- All staff are required to deliver everyday our Brand Promise “Best Summer Of Your Life” in each camper and staff interaction. Guided by our four core principles, Community, Leadership, Accountability, and Performance.
- All staff are expected to abide by and enforce camp guidelines of respect. These are the rules and expectations of behaviour implemented to maintain a fun and safe camp environment.
- All staff are responsible for the saftey and security of each camper in their care. Staff are to follow prescribed program standards and lesson plans in order to ensure the highest level of care and instruction.
- Attendance for all staff to the June orientation week training is mandatory. This training period is where each staff will be receive essential employment information and training for a successful summer experience.
- Participation is camp wide special events (All Camps, Friday Campfire, Program Demonstrations) and weekly meetings are expectation of all staff members.
- The dynamic nature of summer camp demands each staff understand that additional duties may be assigned as required.While under the direction of the
DAILY / WEEKLY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend the Hockey Staff Orientation to review: the hockey program, job responsibilities, camp policies and emergency procedures.
- Assist Sunday camper registration.
- Each instructor will be required to work with either two or three camper groups each day and arrive at the arena 30 minutes before each shift.
- When assigned to the Ranger / Senior group, instruct on Sunday evening and instruct two one -hour off-ice Dry Land sessions each day at camp.
- Assist Junior Hockey Instructors with dressing room and lobby supervision.
- Assist the two youngest groups (Canadiens / Leafs) with tying skates.
- Provide on-going and continuous individual and group instruction throughout the week.
- Progressively evaluate camper’s skill development, complete weekly camper evaluations and stuffed in camper’s achievement envelopes. All player evaluations are completed on a computer and must be completed on time.
- Attend a weekly Hockey Staff meeting with Hockey Director Keith Murray, as well as a General Staff meeting with the rest of the camp staff Thursday night at 10:15pm.
- Assist with Friday night / Saturday scrimmage games as assigned by the Hockey Director.
- Schedule with the Hockey Director your one weekend off. The maximum number of instructors off per weekend is four.
- Ensure the Hockey Staff cabin is kept clean and orderly.
- Share in the daily / weekly cleaning routines before inspection.
- Any changes to shift assignments must be approved by the Hockey Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
<< Go Back To Hockey Staff Positions Overview
Staff Orientation / Training: TBD
Employment Period: July 2, 2017 – August 26, 2017
Optional Employment: Week #9 August 27 – September 2, 2017
Wages: Summer wages range from $2,200 – $3,400 per summer depending on qualifications and experience of applicants. Room and board is included.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Must have a strong hockey background.
- Genuine interest in teaching hockey skills to children and teaching/instructing experience a definite requirement.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Current certificate of Emergency First Aid, and CPR, as well as Respect in Sport or Speak Out.
- Must be enthusiastic, energetic and positive.
- Must be willing to take part in duties outside the defined job description.