Skip to Main Content

HOC Update Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) - May 11, 2020

Share this page

Posted in What's New at HOC

May 11, 2020

We remain dedicated to keeping our families as informed as possible based on what we are hearing, learning and preparing. We appreciate everyone's patience as we continue to work to understand the impact that the Covid-19 situation will have on our upcoming Hockey Opportunity Camp summer season. 

Here's What We Know:

It was our hope that by now we would have been able to offer our families a much clearer picture of the status of the 2020 HOC summer camp season. We know that families and campers are anxious for these details. Unfortunately, at this time, the situation continues to remain uncertain.

As you know, emergency orders have been put in place to-date under s.7.0.2 (4) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, by the Ontario Government. This allows Ontario to continue to enforce emergency orders including the closure of all non-essential workplaces including recreational camps.

We continue to work closely with the Ontario Camps Association (OCA). The OCA's Covid-19 task force is working to support accredited members with any shared resources and information that we may need to assess the situation and its implications on our camp season. As a result, we have been able to begin assessments and viability of possible restrictions and scenarios for the summer season in an effort to support and help determine our final decision.

When will a final decision be made?

It is our hope that we are in a position to make a final decision in the next couple of weeks, prior to the June 1st payment deadline.

Having said that, we understand the level of uncertainty and worry that Covid-19 has created for some of our families and their campers. In addition, we understand the financial situation some families might be finding themselves in due to the economic impact.

Therefore, at this time, we would like to let all our families know that we have re-evaluated our cancellation policy in hopes that it will help ease the burden of the situation and provide families with the comfort of making a decision for their child/family without the financial burden associated with a cancellation fee. 

Cancellation Policy

If HOC is required to cancel camp week sessions for any reason, families will be given full refunds back for all camper enrollments in those weeks affected by the cancellation. 

New: Any cancellation of a 2020 camp session made directly by families will be waived of the cancellation fee. 

Office Contacts

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Given that our office remains closed, the best form of communication is via email to one of the following camp directors;

Kevin McLaughlin, Camp Director/Owner -
Sophie McLaughlin, Camp Director/Owner -
Corrie Huxtable, Administrative Director - or
Jeff Johnstone, Assistant Camp Director -
Again, we want to thank all of our families for their patience and understanding during these difficult times and trust that we will continue to keep everyone updated on developments as they arise.

Stay well, sincerely,

Camp Director Kevin