--IMPORTANT NOTE: Prior to applying for 2022 HOC Staff, all staff candidates must click here to review the latest HOC Covid-19 Plan and potential implications to all staff job descriptions --
Job Title: Administrative Director (Full Time)
Job Type: Maternity Leave Contract Position (With Possible Opportunity For Extension).
Report To: Camp Owner & Director
Hockey Opportunity Camp (HOC) is a residential children’s camp in Sundridge, ON that has been privately owned and operated since 1966. Children from all over the world, aged 7-16, come to experience “The Ultimate Hockey And Summer Camp Experience” on beautiful Eagle Lake.
With a capacity of 240 campers per week and 100 staff (1 staff to 2.5 campers), the beauty of HOC is that we are large enough to offer diversified camp programs to suit every camper's needs. Yet, with a small camper-to-staff ratio, we also have the resources to ensure campers and parents feel connected to the camp community and that their specific needs are heard, acknowledged and met.
The HOC experience provides campers with the opportunity for improved self-confidence, friendship, individual challenge and improved skill development – all in a safe and enjoyable camp environment.
After 2 missed summers of camp programming (COVID-19 related), we are eager to get back to what we know and love for 2022. With new program modifications, facility updates and a renewed sense of energy, it is an exciting time to join the HOC team.
Under the supervision of the Camp Director, the Administrative Director is responsible for overseeing and managing multiple aspects of HOC's Camp Administration, including; Camper Registration, Program Development & Staffing.
This position requires someone who is highly motivated and enthusiastic about contributing to the success of a small business. The ideal candidate should be excited at the thought of being immersed in a high-energy, supportive and rewarding environment, where you will have the opportunity to express creativity and provide your own insight and knowledge to help shape successful camp operations.
- Registration & Marketing Management
- Manage all aspects of HOC Camper Registration, through the HOC Campsite Registration Database.
- Manage & oversee the Teammate Support Program.
- Manage ordering (through Silver Screen Printing) of all camp branded merchandise purchased by customers at time of registration.
- Assist in the management of the HOC website, including; annual review & updates, registration availability updates, etc.
- Assist in the development of marketing literature.
- Assist with financial registration management, including; processing cheque deposits.
- Administrative Management
- Answer phone/email inquires regarding registration and camp-related questions. Maintain professionalism while communicating with camp families and prospective clients. Assist in marketing and selling camper weeks.
- During summer months, manage check-in / out administration processes.
- Assist with daily town runs (mail, bank, supplies, etc.) and process office mail.
- Manage office technology systems including voice mail.
- Manage Workplace Safety Administration, including hosting weekly H & S meetings in the summer.
- Annual review/update of Camp Policies, including Camp Safety Plan & Emergency Responses.
- Program Management
- Annual review/update of all camp programs & associated documentation (handbooks, policies).
- Assist in implementing new camp programs & adapting current program policies to match the growing needs of the business / OCA / Industry Standards.
- Oversee the Camper & Staff Evaluation Systems, and complete annual review/updates as required.
- Assist with management of Eagle Crest Outdoor Center (June & September side-season bookings).
- During summer months, provide daily supervision of camp operations (as time allows).
- During summer months, assist with camper issues, discipline, & dismissal.
- Staff Management
- Assist with the management of HOC Staff Portal, through the HOC Campsite Registration Database for seasonal staff applications.
- Assist with the planning/execution of the December/January Staff Hiring Weekends.
- Assist with Staff Interviewing/Decision Making/Hiring.
- Correspond with potential staff regarding employment opportunities and expectations.
- Manage all Staff Development Candidates (including interviewing & hiring).
- Assist with the administration and collection of all required personnel documents for Staff and Staff Development Candidates (Reference checks, health forms and criminal checks, etc).
- Assist with the Planning & Execution of Staff Training Weekends / Orientation Week.
- During summer months, provide support to the seasonal Sr Staff Team.
- During summer months, oversee the seasonal Sr Staff Weekly Duty Schedule.
- During summer months, assist with staff issues, discipline, & dismissal.
Other responsibilities and duties may be assigned based on current requirements.
Experience & Qualifications
- Required Criteria:
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Recreation, Education, Leadership, Child Studies, Sport Management, or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years related industry experience; leadership experience an asset.
- Demonstrated proficiency in a Mac OS and Google Platform Suite (including Drive, GQs, Sheets, Chat, Docs, etc).
- Excellent oral, written, & interpersonal communication skills; marketing experience is an asset.
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities at the same time.
- Strong organizational skills. Experience in scheduling & planning events.
- Ability to problem solve, including managing staff & camper issues.
- Current police reference check and vulnerable sector screening; (please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of these checks and screenings if not provided by candidate in advance).
- Valid Ontario G Driver’s Licence and access to a vehicle.
- Minimum Standard First Aid & CPR.
- Respect in Sport Certification.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Advantageous Criteria:
- Experience working in a summer camp setting, and/or managing sport programming.
- Experience working with children, teens and/or young adults.
- Experience in hiring and supervising personnel.
- Bronze Cross or NL Swimming Certification.
- Interest in obtaining additional training and certifications that are applicable to the employment position.
- Particular Working Conditions:
- Position offers a flexible combination of a remote working (working from home) and small office environment.
- If the candidate does not live locally and/or is unable to commute daily to the camp office, the position requires the candidate to relocate to camp and/or the surrounding area from May - September.
- The ability to work flexible hours and times, including working some evenings and weekends during the summer operating season.
Qualified candidates are invited to send their resume, cover letter and references to:
Camp Director - firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: 705-471-5851
All applications must be received by noon on Thursday, December 23, 2021
; however, we will review applications as received. HOC reserves the right to close this posting in advance of this date, should a suitable candidate be identified and selected.
<< Go Back To Senior Staff Positions Overview
Employment Period: Full-time, January 2022 - April 2023 (With Possible Opportunity For Extension).
Compensation: This contract position offers a competitive annual salary based on experience, benefits package, vacation and professional development.